Converting a Pool from BAQUACIL to Chlorine
The procedure below allows users of Baquacil, Softswim, etc. to convert their pool to
plain old chlorine. Be warned: it's a messy process. But, it will save money and trouble
in the end.
CONVERSION TO CHLORINE|
Converting a Pool from
Some customers may want to return to chlorine from BACQUACIL. To convert a pool to chlorine, follow these steps:
BAQUACIL to Chlorine
- If possible, allow the BAQUACIL level to naturally drop to 30 ppm or partially drain and refill to dilute the BAQUACIL concentration in the pool. This will quicken the conversion time.
- Adjust the pH to 6.8 - 7.0 (in highly buffered pools, try to get the pH as close to 7.0 as possible, avoiding excessive acid addition).
- Add four pounds of Pool Breeze(tm) Non-Chlorine Shock Treatment per 10,000 gallons of pool water to neutralize BAQUACIL.
* Water may become a clear green.
- Filter continuously for 48 hours.
- Test the BAQUACIL level. Continue to repeat steps 3 and 4 until the BAQUACIL level is at for below 10 ppm. Once this level has been achieved, continue with the conversion procedure.
Quoted directly from a fax received from "Zeneca Biocides 4/7/98 13:05". Apparently page 12-1 from the Baquacil Dealer Manual, edited 3/96. Zeneca is the US manufacturer and distributer of Baquacil. Baquacil and SoftSwim(tm BioGuard) are identical, and conversations with BioLab's tech support staff indicate that they agree with this removal process.
- Adjust pH to 7.2 - 7.6
- Shock-chlorinate daily (preferably in the evening) with Pool Breeze (tm) Shock Treatment and Superchlorinator.
* Because of a likely high chlorine demand, shocking may be required for 7 - 10 days in some cases to restore a blue color. A high BAQUA SHOCK level in the water will result in higher chlorine demand.
* If a significant amount of precipitate forms, brush the pool regularly and filter continuously to remove. Do not allow the precipatate to settle. Extended contact with the pool surface may result in staining.
- Once a free chlorine residual has been established with a combined chlorine residual of less than 0.2 ppm, balance the water, add Pool Breeze Metal Removing Agent, and begin a routine chlorination schedule.